Constitution of Cornwall Humanists
(As amended on 20th November 2007)
Title and Aims
1. The group shall be called Cornwall Humanists
2. The Aims of the group shall be to promote humanism.
3. Any person who agrees with the Aims of the group may become a member upon payment of the annual subscription.
4. Cornwall Humanists at a special general meeting may terminate the membership of or refuse to admit as a member any person whose conduct or beliefs they consider to be inconsistent with the Aims of the group.
5. Any person who is not a paid-up member may attend two ordinary meetings of Cornwall Humanists after which he or she must pay the annual subscription or cease attending meetings.
Officers & committee
6. The officers of Cornwall Humanists shall be the chair, secretary and treasurer.
7. Cornwall Humanists may appoint members to officiate at ceremonies (officiants) and to coordinate and manage activities of the group (coordinators) and to represent the group on outside organisations (representatives).
8. All officers, coordinators and representatives shall be elected annually.
9.There shall be a media officer, elected annually.
10. There shall be a committee consisting of the chair, secretary and treasurer and the general day-today business of Cornwall Humanists shall be controlled and carried out by the committee whose meetings will be presided over by the chair.
11. All decisions of the committee shall be reported to the next ordinary meeting of Cornwall Humanists which shall ratify or amend or rescind any decision by the majority vote of those present and voting subject to any special meeting which may be called.
Annual general meetings
12. An annual general meeting shall be held before 1st December each year.
13. The annual general meeting shall receive audited accounts for the year ended on the previous 30th September, copies of which shall be given to all members present and be available on request to all members not present.
14. Officers, coordinators and representatives of Cornwall Humanists and the media officer shall give reports to the annual general meeting and may be asked by members about their work.
15. The annual general meeting, after paragraphs 13 and 14, shall elect the officers of the group and shall appoint an auditor and elect such coordinators and representatives as it wishes and elect the media officer.
16. At least twenty one days’ notice of the annual general meeting shall be given to all members.
17. Notices of motions and nominations for officers and coordinators and representatives and the media officer must be received by the secretary at least seven days before the annual general
meeting. Nominations but not motions may also be made at the annual general meeting.
18. Where there is more than one nomination for any elected post within Cornwall Humanists, the subsequent election shall be by secret ballot.
Other meetings & activities
19. The group shall organise such regular ordinary meetings and events and activities for its members as it decides and all members shall have reasonable notice of these.
20. The group may set up working parties to explore questions and report to members at an ordinary meeting.
21. A special general meeting may be called by the committee; or shall, on receipt of a request signed by not fewer than six members, be called by the secretary within one calendar month of receiving such a request. At least twenty one days’ notice of a special general meeting shall be given to all members.
22. The quorum at all ordinary and annual and special meetings shall be six members.
23. The group may organise or participate in meetings and events and activities open to the public.
24. The income and property of the group shall be devoted solely to the promotion of the aims of the group and for purposes of the group allowed by the constitution.
25. Officers and members of the group may not receive payment for their services to the group.
26. No fees or travelling expenses will be paid to members of the group giving talks or presentations at the scheduled monthly meetings.
27. All reasonable incurred expenses by members for approved work carried out on behalf of the group will be reimbursed.
28. An agreed sum shall be reserved annually to subsidise members to attend approved meetings outside Cornwall.
29. A budget shall be set at the annual general meeting for the work of the media officer.
30. The annual subscription to the group shall be set by the annual general meeting and the subscription year shall run from 1st January to 31st December.
31. In the event of the group having to be wound up, all funds and assets shall go to the British Humanist Association after payment of liabilities.
32. Amendments to the Constitution may be considered only at the annual general meeting or a special general meeting and all members shall be informed at least twenty one days in advance of the proposed motions and to be carried such motions shall require the majority of those present and voting.
Cornwall Humanists Constitution, 20.11.2007